Zip Code: 77057, 77056
Tanglewood subdivision is located just west of the inner loop and its boundaries are Briar drive to the north, Chimney Rock to the west, San Felipe to the South and South Post Oak Lane to the East.
Tanglewood, named after the book Tanglewood Tales, by Nathaniel Hawthorne, was developed in the summer of 1949 by the William G. Farrington Company who purchased 300 acres just west of the city limits from Humble Pipeline Company, now Exxon. This initial property was located in the area that is now between San Felipe and Woodway and between Sage and Chimney Rock. An additional 450 acres north of Woodway had been purchased. Since the land was still considered outside the city limits, a water district had to be formed. Section 1 of Tanglewood, with its entrance from Post Oak Lane, consisted of 32 lots that were placed on the market in January, 1949. The homes were built to take advantage of air conditioning and the community had the distinction of being the most air-conditioned subdivision in the Southwest. Since most of the land was still open prairie, each home site was planted with two large oak trees plus three oaks added on every corner. Big lots, typically 1/4-acre to 3/4-acre, are in keeping with Farrington plan for an upscale community. Seven new homes were ready for the grand opening. As a result, Tanglewood is now one of Houston’s most beautiful wooded areas. Although Tanglewood had been annexed by the city, there was no telephone, bus, or garbage service, and little police protection. Developer William Farrington, quickly resolved these problems. The deed restrictions of Tanglewood were rigidly enforced by the Tanglewood Homes Association. These included front and side line setbacks for every home. Prior to any construction, plans had to be approved by an Architectural Control Committee. The original ideals and restrictions of the developer are still carried out by the Tanglewood Homes Association. The Association is financed by a mills tax per lot with proceeds used for back-door garbage pick up, police protection, and maintenance of esplanades and green areas. In 1951, Tanglewood was recognized by the National Association of Home Builders in Washington, D.C. as one of the five best-planned neighborhood subdivisions in the United States. In 1954, the Houston Country Club purchased 150 acres from Tanglewood and an additional 125 acres from the Bering family. In order to have enough land for a golf course, an additional 25 acres were also acquired. There were 15 sections of Tanglewood developed from 1949 to 1959. Today, the completed subdivision consists of 1,052 homes in these 15 sections. Originally, the homes became bigger as you went from San Felipe north to Buffalo Bayou. Grady elementary was a new school with a ditch in front and Mayor Roy Hofinez owned all of the land between Yorktown, San Felipe, Westheimer, and Chimney Rock. The 41st President of the United States, George H. W. Bush, retired with his wife, Barbara, to a home within this exclusive neighborhood.
Today many of Tanglewood’s original Ranch-style homes are gone, replaced with big two story homes. Shady lots are well-suited for the upscale English-style two-stories of brick and stone or stucco Mediterraneans with clay roofs that have been built recently. Newer houses often feature wine cellars, three-car garages, and 11-foot high ceilings, great detailed work, and hand crafted finishing in these mansions. The appeal of these very large lots has allowed owners to build spectacular homes. The area still retains its charm with Tanglewood Boulevard and its esplanade ending at Grady Middle School.
Tanglewood is zoned to the Houston Independent School District, however some residents send their children to nearby private schools.
Tanglewood Real Estate Info
|Number of Homes
|Median Sq. Foot
|Median Lot Size
|Median Year Built
||77056 / 77057
Source: Crawford Realty Advisors Phone: 281-587-0132 E-mail: info@CrawfordRealtyAdvisors.com. All information is subject to change and should be independently verified.
Tanglewood Homes Association
5757 Woodway, Suite 160
Houston, Texas 77057-1519
Office Hours 8:00 am - 4:30 pm Monday - Friday
Phone (713) 781-1642
Fax (713) 781-2223